Wednesday 14 May 2014

IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU.

Some time back I read someone's article on the Standard newspaper that usually comes on Sunday. I  cannot really  remember who was the writer but I have always remembered the moral of the story to this day.

The article was basically talking about two women; a master and a servant. Both of them have spouses and children. I Hate the word servant I would rather use a  housekeeper. So this rich lady has anything and everything that can be described as material wealth. Money is not a problem to her family. Her housekeeper does her job perfectly well and leaves her master's house in the evening back to her family after she has fixed their dinner. Her husband who is a watchman comes and picks her up with his only transport; a black bicycle. She sits at the back and they happily go home to share a one plate meal with her husband.

Back to the rich lady, the children come back home, serve their meal from the dinning table which was perfectly set by the housekeeper and head to their rooms leaving their mother at the table. she sits their looking at the clock on the wall while waiting for her husband. Without realizing it, she doses off and by the time she wakes up, it is 4am and still no signs of her husband.
That is life for her. Her family's lifestyle.
I don't know if this only happens to me but there are times that I can unconsciously think a lot until I find myself getting sad and I just loose this zeal for life. It may sound crazy but yap! it just happens to me.

Remembering this story helped me give myself this positive self-talk. Happiness. It all depends on me. I can choose to be happy regardless of my circumstances. Am sure a lot of people have this thought in their mind that once they achieve their goals that's when they are going to be happy. A student may say "once I graduate and get my degree, I'll be happy" Another person may say "once I get married, I'll be happy." In short, their happiness depends on their future. What if that's you and it ends up that you never actually get to be happy in your entire life?

The little good things that we do to ourselves, the little treats that we give to ourselves, the time that we spend with  special people in our lives is what brings happiness and joy into our lives but we never really see it as happiness because we have this illusion that happiness is something outside of this world. Well, I challenge you to do what you feel in your heart makes you genuinely smile. I am sure you know what that is.
Be happy regardless of your circumstances, it all depends on you.